Home » The Reality of Graduation

The Reality of Graduation

It’s been a hot second since I’ve made a post as this is a busy time of year (I just passed in a really fancy hypothetical grant proposal). I am also probably avoiding talking about my life because it feels like May 13th marks my impending doom. Let me be clear, I have no reason to feel this way about graduation, but transitional periods are difficult for everyone. For any senior in high school reading this blog, I know you may be feeling similarly. And yet, there’s a refreshing awareness of how exciting it will be to start fresh! There are so many new opportunities and experiences ahead of you. Whether you come to Emmanuel, attend another college or decide to end your academic career to pursue a professional one, there’s so much to look forward to.

I’m incredibly grateful for the time I’ve gotten to spend running around my favorite city and connecting with the students, staff and faculty at Emmanuel. From singing every week with my favorite a cappella group, Acapocalypse, to learning a multitude of valuable skills working at the IT Helpdesk, to yelling at students in the cafeteria who still don’t how to compost, it’s hard to imagine the person I was before came to Boston to study Biology.

Here’s a list of all the things I know I made the right choice about while at Emmanuel:

1. Working with kids: I didn’t know until I started working in a daycare center, but it turns out I get along really well with five-year-olds. Not only that, but I’ve found working with kids to be the most rewarding experience one can have, which is really helpful to know when you’re trying to figure out the job you’d like to do every day for the rest of your life.
  2. Cross-registering: I’ve talked a little bit about this in past posts. Emmanuel may not have had every single class I wanted to take, but Simmons sure helped me out in finding more classes related to the specific fields I was gravitating towards.
  3. Finding a mentor: Not only was applying for a position in IT (which I had no previous experience in) a great choice for learning technical skills and networking with the Emmanuel community, but I also made one of the most important professional and personal relationships of my college career. Al Osward isn’t just the Director of IT Support & Services. He’s also an incredibly caring and patient teacher who has taught me to be confident in my self and my skills, to not shy away from a challenge, and most importantly to own it. If we want to see a change happen, it’s not going to be easy if we’re constantly diffusing the responsibility to those around us. Consequently, I have much more faith in my capability to get stuff done. The kind of stuff where the finished product makes you want to do a mic drop.
  4. Singing A Cappella: I should do a whole blog post on this. I was Acapocalypse’s Vice President for a year, Treasurer for two, and during my last semester, I’ve had the pleasure of being the group’s Music Director. We work with awesome people like the Vocal Company to get amazing and challenging arrangements, record albums/singles, and they even mix our sound live sometimes! The a cappella community in Boston is unreal. We love getting to hang out with crazy talented people like Upper Structure and The Unisons.
  5. Interning: Not all majors require that you complete an internship. In fact, I was not required to do an internship for credit, but I ended up having two. First, I tried out being an intern in the Live Animal Care Center at the Museum of Science. This position gave me loads of hands-on experience taking care of animals like alligators, porcupines, snakes and really aggressive bullfrogs that tried to jump on my head more than one time. I’ve talked a lot about my experience at the New England Aquarium and I would encourage anyone who hasn’t my read posts about that to check them out. Our Career Center has an awesome relationship with their internship coordinator and they offer a number of positions outside the realm of Animal Husbandry and Education like IT, Marketing, and Human Resources. If you want an update on how much I’m enjoying myself there, here’s a picture of me and the other Visitor Education interns participating in a family program about sharks:

20170417_203140932_iOSReally serious science.

To conclude my thoughts on graduation, I may not have my whole life planned out, but I’ve decided that’s okay because I have some pretty promising ideas. Maybe I’ll tell y’all about them soon.

Caroline Lussier caroline_moosier| @CarolineLoosyay