Home » Starting my final semester

Starting my final semester

I recently began my final semester at Emmanuel College. My courses this semester are extremely interesting to me, and per usual, they are taught by incredibly passionate faculty. The semester is off to a great start. Still, the first day of school was a bittersweet day, because I am so sad to think about graduating from the school I love calling home. But it’s hard to be too sad when I think about everything I have to look forward to before Commencement in May.

This week is Founders’ Week at Emmanuel College when we celebrate both the founding of the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur and Emmanuel College. I’m part of The 1804 Society here on campus, an organization dedicated to living out the mission of the Sisters of Notre Dame. We are the students responsible for planning Founders’ Week. I’m looking forward to inspirational events like the annual Follow Your Heart Dinner, where faculty and staff share their stories. I’m also excited for the fun things like a paint night we’re having. One of the highlights of the week will definitely be the 100 Days Celebration, a tradition which marks that seniors are 100 days away from graduating. As a class officer, I have been working to put this event together, and I’m looking forward to enjoying the night with my classmates.

Next week, I will travel to Washington, D.C. with EC Youth in Government for the 5th Annual Campus YMCA Congress National Assembly. Emmanuel attended this event for the first time last year, and we were extremely successful. We were named chapter of the year, and I was appointed to the 2016-2017 national board. I’ve been working hard to plan this conference with my fellow national officers, and to help prepare my fellow Emmanuel students as the chapter president. At this conference, students write and present their own bills on issues they care about. We get to meet and debate on Capitol Hill in spaces the legislature actually uses. It is such an incredible experience. We are currently one of the only Boston area schools that attend, and I am so grateful for all the support EC gives us to make our participation possible.

Before I know it, spring break will be here, and I’ll be traveling to Phoenix, Arizona with a group of Emmanuel students and staff. Through the Alternative Spring Break program, we will spend the week serving with organizations that deal with hunger and homelessness. I was part of Alternative Spring Break last year, as well. I traveled to New Orleans, Louisiana and know from that experience that these trips are something to look forward to. 

In the first half of the semester alone, I have so many things I’m excited about! My Emmanuel experience has been amazing, and I can tell that this final semester will be no different.