Home » A Note to the Undecided Student

A Note to the Undecided Student

At eighteen, along with the rest of high school seniors, I was faced with the decision on what I wanted to do with the rest of my life, and what school would help me get there. It seemed like everyone around me knew what career they wanted. Me? I only knew what subjects I was bad at and definitely didn’t want to peruse. My choice to attend Emmanuel was largely based on my indecisiveness – as a liberal arts school, it offers a wide variety of courses that students can explore in order to get a better idea of what major they want to declare.

During your freshman year, Emmanuel encourages exploring classes relating to multiple majors that you may be interested in. Since I am far from a science and math person, I took classes relating to art, english and business. Each incoming student is set up with an academic advisor that assists in transitioning from high school to college. Academic advisors understand that your first choice of major probably won’t be your last; personally, I have changed my major three times before deciding.

For those students who have absolutely no idea about what they’re good at, what they don’t excel at, and what they do or do not enjoy, Emmanuel offers tools to narrow your search. Through the school’s main site, (www.emmanuel.edu) a link to a system called MyMajors can be found. MyMajors computes career plans and majors to consider based on personal academic aptitude and interests. Since I’m more of the creative type and enjoy writing, MyMajors directed me towards options that I would be able to handle knowledge wise as well as enjoy.

The most important thing when figuring out what to do during this stressful time is to remember that the major you choose will neither predict nor guarantee your future. Most of the time, graduates will find jobs that do not match up to the major they chose in college. Emmanuel requires declaration of a major by the second semester of your sophomore year, but it is not a huge issue to make a change later on. The next step of your college career should be the best years of your life, so breathe, relax, and take classes that will keep you interested. Take it from someone who’s been through it before.